Jungle Terrace Neighborhood Description
There are approximately 3,000 single family residences in the Jungle Terrace Neighborhood. Many of the homes were built in the 1950s. The homes are mostly single story block style with 2 and 3 bedrooms. However there are fascinating homes from the 1920s sprinkled throughout the area. Mansions selling for over 2 million dollars can be found on the western edge of the neighborhood along the waterfront of Boca Ceiga Bay. The neighborhood includes Tyrone Square Mall and much of the Tyrone shopping district to the north of the neighborhood.
Jungle Terrace is considered one of the most convenient locations in St. Petersburg due to its due to its easy access to the Gulf Beaches and downtown St. Petersburg. Abercrombe Park features wildlife and nature preserves and the Jungle Prada boat ramp provides easy access to Boca Ciega Bay. The Pinellas Trail traverses the center of the neighborhood.
Some historians have placed this area as the site where the first European explorers visited North America starting in 1528. Indian mounds dating back more than 2,000 years have been identified. In the early 20th Century, the Jungle Terrace area became one of the finest vacation-destination in Pinellas County. The Jungle Country Club (now the Admiral Farragut Academy) was built by Walter Fuller in 1925. The Jungle Prada complex (now the Black Palm Restaurant at 700 Park St. N building) was built in 1924 where The Gangplank became St. Petersburg first nightclub. Count Basie and Duke Ellington played in the Gangplank and Babe Ruth was married there.
During the prohibition era, there was a secret underground tunnel leading from the bay to Jungle Prada which was used by bootleggers. In the 1920’s, the land where Tyrone Square Mall is now located was an airport. Al Capone and other notorious characters used the airport for easy access to the Jungle resort area. According to legend, Al Capone was a part owner of the Jungle Prada nightclub. There are claims that there is still an un-opened safe in the restaurant building that dates back to the Al Capone days.
The southern boundary of Jungle Terrace is 22nd Ave North and the northern boundary is the city limits line (generally, 40th Avenue North.